Notebook and Pen

Notebook and Pen

Thursday, April 10, 2014

My first message in a bottle...

The blank page! A true source of wonder.

This is my first foray into blogging, as you can probably tell. I started this because I don't think you can ever have a big enough community to discuss the writing that matters to you. Any and all writing that matters to you.

Though now well into the middle stage of life, I started writing as soon as I was able, and never had the good sense to stop until I'd earned three English degrees, and had my dissertation published on Nebraska's Willa Cather, back in the mid-1990's.

After putting the pen down for some time after that, and under the influence of a Barnes and Noble Nook, and of all the good, intriguing, and extremely affordable popular fiction out there, a couple of years ago I started writing my own stories once again. I posted the first of my short novels on barnesandnoble.com, and now also have this first novel as well as a newer one on amazon.com.

But as rewarding as writing can be, it's no guarantee of a community. A community that might read your fiction, but which also reads Stephen King and Barbara Kingsolver and Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Sue Monk Kidd.

As time allows, I hope to put more messages in bottles, and to open others from anyone who'd like to throw their own message in too. Given my own generational background in somewhat traditional American lit, some of my own tastes might run a bit to the "retro," in the interests of disclosure.

But if we're to believe Ecclesiastes, "a living dog is better than a dead lion." So, here's to looking ahead as well as back, and to hearing from everyone who enjoys opening a good book, whether that "book" comes between two hard covers or with a power switch.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Message received, Gary! I'm with you on the notion of building a community of readers and especially writers. It's always scary to put your work out there, and so much easier to do so when you know the readers are friends. Good luck on your blog, and of course with your fiction! Always happy to join the conversation, online or off! -- Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, thanks for checking this out! I hadn't seen your comment, and appreciate it.

      We thought of you the other night--we were at a reading by the group that produces The Lincoln Underground, for the new Spring issue. Nice people, and they have readings, writing workshops where they (gently) critique each other, etc. Mostly poetry, I think, but not all.

      Anyway, I'm hoping this blog might be a place for people working on projects to talk about them, build interest in the projects, etc. I know one or two other writing friends who might be interested, and if you know anyone too, even better.

      Great to hear from you, Deb! Gary

      Delete